History of Santin Village 新田歷史San Tin meaning 'new field', is in the extreme Northwest fringe of the New Territories, Enclosing and area of 31 sq. km. It join Kam Tin in the South China in the North and Sheng Shui in the East, while facing Deep Bay and Pear River Estuary in the West.
新田佔地約31平方公里，東以鐵坑及白石凹為界，南至新田公路，西接米埔新村，北達深圳河。該區在新界西北的北部，新深路把該區分為兩半及與新田公路連接。該區半數地方為魚 塘，而位於西北部的小片魚塘，列入拉姆薩爾公約所確認的具國際意義的濕地範圍。該區的魚塘是后海灣濕地生態系統的一部分，極具保育價值。根據一九九六年中期人口統計的資料顯示，新田區約有3080人口，聚居在多條認可鄉村包括東鎮圍﹑仁壽圍﹑石湖圍、安龍村﹑番田村﹑新龍村﹑青龍村﹑永平村﹑洲頭村及落馬洲鄉村周圍的地方，主要集中於新田的西南部，有通道與青山公路連接。新深路東面主要為丘陵地區，鄉村都沿山麓興建，在深圳河以南，則有一片魚塘。該區多條具 歷史價值的鄉村中的文物已評級為古蹟，包括位於番田村的文氏宗祠﹑明德堂﹑明遠堂和萃野文公祠，位於永平村的東山古廟，以及落馬洲警署等，都別具歷史價值 及建築特色，而文麟峰祠堂及大夫第，更已列為法定古蹟。這些歷史鄉村及建築物具有保存價值。大夫第和麟峰文公祠是新田著名的古蹟及旅遊點。他們分別建於同治四年一八六五年和十七世紀末，且均是文氏族人的遺跡。文氏族人於十五世紀自宝安縣移居新田，蕃田村是族人聚落的中心。新田鄉內，最少有五間文族祖祠。
為文天祥堂弟文天瑞的後人文頌鑾在一八六五年所建。『大夫第』者，即有功名之 人士之府第。從外表看來，大夫第的建築方法、結構和外形以至裝飾均為中國傳統手法，材料也運用了傳統的廣東清水青磚、灰瓦、陶瓷，但細心觀察，即可發現它 內裏佈局並非完全以軸為中心，左右也不相稱。有些裝飾細部，也有西洋韻味。大夫第最具特色的是它的木雕花、彩色玻璃窗，及石灣陶瓷裝飾。其中第宅內的門頭 上刻有西方『洛可可』式的浮雕，論細緻可媲美18世紀法國建築，另有一番混合的文化情調，窗門有彩色斑爛的玻璃， 砌成不同形狀，大小各異，鑲成幾何圖案，深受西方建築設計和藝術的薰陶，形成屋子中西合壁的格式。如此此的手法，在廣州西關區房子多見，但在新界則是罕見 了。第內還有其他細部，如通往廚房的圓拱門或稱『月形門』，這在新界其他住宅裏並不常見。二樓迴廊的欄杆有十字形的裝飾圖案，這在中國建築中也許罕見，但 在西方則很普遍，可見此宅主人深受外國文化影響；同時它的二層建築也是富貴人家的象徵。位於大廳屋簷下的兩塊牌匾，分別刻有漢、滿兩種文字，是清光緒皇帝於一八七五年御賜表揚文頌鑾祖父母和雙親的詔書木刻。從大夫第的建築特色來看，可以作為香港早期中西文化匯集的一佐證。(請看大夫第相片)
History of San Tin
San Tin meaning 'new field', is in the extreme Northwest fringe of the New Territories, Enclosing and area of 31 sq. km. It join Kam Tin in the South China in the North and Sheung Shui in the East, while facing Deep Bay and Pear River Estuary in the West.
According to 1996 population statistic San Tin had approximately 3080 inhabitants, 70% belong to the Man family who until recently have reserved the farmland for their own use. Since then, much of the clan's land has been sold or rented out when the younger Mans emigrated to England and Holland. San Tin prospers from remittances from overseas.
It is said Man Tin-shui(文天瑞), a clansmen of Man Tin-cheung(文天祥) a famous general of the Southern Sung Dynasty migrated all the way from Sze-chuan(四川) to Kiang-si and Hui-chou in kuang-tung(廣東), then to Pao-an(宝安). In 1367, some of his descendants moved from Pao-an to Lo Fu Han is now known as (Tuen Mun 屯門). This is why an ancestral tomb of the Man's Clan is found in Castle Peak (青山). As Tuen Mun was threatened by bandits, the Man's Clan left Tuen Mun for a safer place.
In 1429, Man Sai-Ko(文世歌), a 7th generation descendant of Man Tin-shui(文天瑞) settled in San Tin, thus becoming the founding ancestor of the Man's in the New Territories. The Man's Clan have lived in San Tin for over 582 years. They worked the land vigorously and built schools, creating a good place for their descendants. The salty, swampy soil was utilized for growing brackish rice while the rest of the area was ideal for keeping poultry. As time goes by, many older generation of Man's return to their roots and retire back to San Tin from Europe. [ Keith 裕基]
Dai Fu Tai
Was built in the 1865 during the Qing ( 清 )dynasty by Man Chung-Luen (文頌鑾) as a residence for the posterity of Man Tin-Sui (文天瑞). This is a fine example of dwellings built for the public figures of the scholar gentry class.
The mansion itself is situated within a large courtyard surrounded by a brick wall. If observed carefully you will discover that the mansion’s layout is not symmetrical and some of the decorative detail has a hint of the western influence.
Most of Dai Fu Tai’s character can be found in its wooden carving of flowers, stained glass windows and Shek-wan (石 灣) ceramic decorations. The doors within the mansion has detailed western “Rococo” style carving often compared with those used during 18thcentury France. Located in the main lounge are two wooden carvings in both Han( 漢 ) and Mun Qing( 滿 ) script , which were gifts from the Emperor Guang- Xu (光緒) in 1875. Another distinct feature of the mansion is the circular “Lunar” door that leads from the hall to the kitchen. On the upper floor , the corridors have cruciform decorative patterns which were rare in Chinese building , although common in the West. The addition of a second floor was often seen as a symbol of wealth. This fusion of the western and eastern style were uncommon in the New Territories region of Hong Kong, however, was a feature found in many buildings of the Guangzhou( 廣 州) and Xi Guan (西 關) regions of China. [Keith] ( Please visit Dai Fu Tai photo album )
Dai Fu Tai is essential for any visit to San Tin and admission is Free.
Opening time is from 9:00 to 13:00. Re-open from 14:00 to 17:00
Closed every Tuesday